2010 318d history, breaking down too much?

• Question: Have my 2010 318d Touring with approx. one “major” mechanical failure per year been quite unlucky, or is that within the norm?
    Details here below, you may of course answer in German if you prefer..

I bought it 2nd hand at 124.000 km in 2015, now in 2020 at 240.000 km.
    In that period 'unexpected' breadowns, totalling more than EUR 6.000. Approximate timeline, old-to-recent:

• Rear brake dragging/overheating, eventually most parts incl. caliber replaced. EUR 1.000. (Opposite side looked new, so previous owner propably have had similar fail)
    • Leak/crack in exhaust system, weld fix. Cheap . :)
    • One front suspension spring broken. As consequence both dampers and one tire needed replacing, EUR 1.500.
    • Rear wheel bearing replaced (propably consequence of the brake overheating?) EUR ? 3-400 ?.
    • Hardy disk worn out, discovered and replaced during regular service. EUR 200
    • Rear ABS sensor ring (causing traction control error, cutting power), replaced. EUR 500.
    • Engine error lamp; turned out was broken EGR-valve, one glow plug cracked leaving particles in the cylinder! (all four then replaced) and air mass flow meter. EUR 2.500.

This was not my expectation when choosing a E91 with a reputation for excellent reliability, and low fail rates. From now own at 10 years old and +250.000 km yes maybe, but not this much earlier ...
    Thanks for your opinion/comparisons.
    /Simon

• Hi Simon,
    My 320d (n47 184hp) did 310.000km with (almost) no issues. (other than maintenance parts like brakes and filters)
    Rear shocks and seals of the diff had been replaced a couple of thousand km`s ago.

Still first clutch, turbo, exhaust, injectors, glowplugs etc.

Regarding your problems:
    1000€ is a lot for a rear brake (incl. disk and caliper) I checked the parts-prices: 2xDisk ATE = 70€ 1xPadSet ATE = 35€ 1xCaliper ATE = 70€
    1500€ for two shocks and two springs. Again, parts prices 2xSachs shocks = 150€ 2xSachs Springs = 60€ ...the tire I dont know, you can check yourself.
    And the Glowplug cracking... there are special "reverse" torque-wrenches and "vibrationsausdreher" for changing the glow plugs - wich makes it quite easy to repl. a glow plug without cracking it.

I´m not saying your shop is ripping you off, but I´d consider looking for a new one.

As for the repairs in general, I think it is bad luck.

For example your rear brake dragging - I suspect it was a bad brake job, where they didnt clean the caliper and the rails properly...

BR
    Ben

• One of the major problems with used cars is: they cannot tell you what the pre owners did to them. Misuse included.
    So don't make the car acountable for every problem. Theses cars are robust, but not unbreakable.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.