BMW Performance Power Kit 320d + 15kw + 40NM

• Dear forum members

I have ordered power kit for my 2011 320d LCI. I have read all the forum with google translate :) I have one question that was not clear after all vmax discussions around E91.

1) Is there a software vmax limitation for stock LCI 184 PS ? If yes is it because of tyre specs ? I have 205/55/16 standart tyres (V speed index). Is the soft limit based on real speed or tacho speed?

2) After the power kit is this limitation exist ?

3) I am not sure but may be the official dealer is going to update the software of the car before installation of the kit. Does it have anything to do with vmax ?

4) Finally is there a chance to negotiate with the dealer to delete the soft vmax limitation during the coding of the new ECU ?

Thanks a lot

• a 320d does not run into a limit anyway.. with or without PPK ;)

2011 E91 320d xDrive | BLACK SAPPHIRE | 193M FERRIC GREY | M SPORT PACKAGE
    WETTERAUER PERFORMANCE OPTIMIZATION | EIBACH PRO KIT
    PERFORMANCE EXHAUST | LED CORONAS

• Hello,

I have already installed the PPK on my E90 320d '08 320d (177HP) since 2010 and I can tell you for sure, the following:

1) The Vmax limit is not related to the car tyres, but the engine and the factory limitations. Furthermore, it's based on tacho speed and not real speed (it's 235 Km/h).

2) Yes it does exist, due to factory warranty limitations.

3) After the installation of the kit, a total software update will take place (it lasted 5 hours on my car). Again, not related to the Vmax limitation.

4) Probably not, because it's something out of factory engine limits, and if something goes wrong (break the engine i.e) you will blame BMW and ask for any kind of compensation. But of course you can remove the Vmax limitation by software encoding, outside of a BMW dealer though.

My car with the PPK reaches 248 Km/h top speed now, where the Vmax limit cuts the power, see the attached recently taken photo.

Finally, I've tested a same car as mine with an ECU remap+ DPF off and Vmax limit removed, and I reached 255 Km/h top speed on the tacho. So, you earn +7 Km/h only, not worth playing with the engine limits.

Zitat

a 320d does not run into a limit anyway.. with or without PPK ;)

Oh yes it does...

[Blockierte Grafik: http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160330/0444cb2cec34706819bd7c488b4ed422.jpg]

Sent from my Xiaomi Redmi Note 2

• 245 laut Tacho schaff ich aber mit meinem 184ps 320d auch ohne ppk, bzw. da ist er limitiert, da er bergab nicht schneller wurde

Gesendet vom Handtelefon

• topmar

Thank you for your answers. I have seen a lot of stock video that goes a little beyond 250 downhill. By saying tacho I meant speedometer gauge. If there was a limit at 235 km/h at speedo you can't run at 248 km/h as shown in your picture. I guess you mean 235 km/h limit is the real speed and that corresponds to 248 km/h at speedo.
    Altough PPK increase the power by at least 20 HP the car should go up to 260 km/h downhill in my opinion. I have also read somewhere in German forums that one e91 320d was doing 257 km/h downhill but after a software update in the dealer it was not doing anymore. I don't understand why this invisible wall is not mentioned somewhere in the datasheet. I have also some doubts that after PPK install and software update the car might have a limiter.

Thanks

• Zitat

I have also some doubts that after PPK install and software update the car might have a limiter.

Thanks

Hello,

after the PPK Installation has the car a limiter. But a Tuner can take the limiter out/off.

With the PPK and without a limiter can the 320d reach 260 Km/h. The real speed (gps) is from my car at 245-247 Km/H (262 Km/h at speedo).

• ultraGs57

Hello

Do you mean the car will have a limiter after PPK while it does not have it before PPK ?

Do you know what is the value ?

In fact I don't want to remove the ECU and flash it to delete the limiter and I think this is the only way is it?

Thanks

• The speed limit is different between E90 (sedan) and E91 (touring).
    My E91 177HP had a limit at 228Kmh(spec & GPS) / 238Kmh (Tacho).
    With PPK 197HP the limit was raised to 238Kmh(spec & GPS) / 248Kmh(Tacho).
    BMW increases the speed limit only by 10Kmh if your tyres have speed index H or higher.
    You can monitor the speed limitation on the momentary fuel consumption gauge.
    If it runs into the limit the consumption goes down from >20L to <15L, see tacho image above.

• I don't get why downhill speed would have any importance at all.
    If it really matters buy a faster car !!

Grüße

"Ich mag keine Probleme, ich stehe auf Lösungen."

ein Chemiker

sent from NSA monitored device

• Zitat

topmar

Thank you for your answers. I have seen a lot of stock video that goes a little beyond 250 downhill. By saying tacho I meant speedometer gauge. If there was a limit at 235 km/h at speedo you can't run at 248 km/h as shown in your picture. I guess you mean 235 km/h limit is the real speed and that corresponds to 248 km/h at speedo.
    Altough PPK increase the power by at least 20 HP the car should go up to 260 km/h downhill in my opinion. I have also read somewhere in German forums that one e91 320d was doing 257 km/h downhill but after a software update in the dealer it was not doing anymore. I don't understand why this invisible wall is not mentioned somewhere in the datasheet. I have also some doubts that after PPK install and software update the car might have a limiter.

Thanks

Yes, I meant that you can see Max speed 248 Km/h in speedometer, which is actually 236 Km/h real speed (if I remember correctly).

Furthermore, Max speed in cars isn't measured in downhills but straight line, so there's no point on that.

Find a tuning company and ask for a Vmax limitation removal.

Sent from my Xiaomi Redmi Note 2